Did You Know?
- Some of these compounds found in plastic have been found to alter hormones or have other potential human health effects.
- In samples collected in Lake Erie, 85 percent of the plastic particles were smaller than two-tenths of an inch, and much of that was microscopic. Researchers found 1,500 and 1.7 million of these particles per square mile.
- 50 percent of the plastic we use, we use just once and throw away.
- Plastic accounts for around 10 percent of the total waste we generate.
- Over the last ten years we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century
- In the Los Angeles area alone, 10 metric tons of plastic fragments—like grocery bags, straws and soda bottles—are carried into the Pacific Ocean every day.
Look at other peoples distress at this.
You might not have known:
Plastics contains a poison called BPA even though they don’t mention it.
Enough plastic is thrown away each year that it could circle the Earth 4 times.
Americans throw away 35 billion plastic water bottles every year
It takes 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade
80 percent of pollution enters the ocean from the land.
There is over 3 Billion tons of plastic in the ocean
The Pacific Garbage Patch is approximately twice the size of Texas
Most of the plastic is too small to pick up
Plastic floating in the ocean kills up to 100,000 aquatic animals annually.