chem315

To examine the effects of raising the can of water so there is more room for the flame to breathe.

We decided to use another half of a pop can to use as a cradle for our heat source.

We added in cotton balls for insulation hoping we wouldn't lose heat by conduction.

For similar reasons we added clay to also stop heat transfer by conduction and convection.

Adding tin-foil around the pop cans added a reliable way to stop heat loss by radiation, this worked well.

Adding this extra layer of insulation was effective for stopping heat loss by convection and conduction.

The tape was added around our calroimeter  so that it would all stay in place, also it made it look more professional.

We added insulation on the top and made a hole for the thermometer to be added as well as place to add water, then we were ready for our first trial.

On trial one we were able to get it up to 41.5 degrees from the starting temperature of 29 degrees.

As said in our experiment we felt we needed more air flow so we raised the pop can farther away from the flame and calculated the effects.

Our group in the process of doing our second, and best trial.

The thermometer inserted into the top of our calorimeter.

After making this change we noticed a great increase in the efficiency of our calorimeter as it went from 34 degrees to 57 degrees and it went up very precisely.

Our third and final change to the calorimeter.

Trying to figure out how far the ideal length from the flame should be we continued to move it farther, as you can see in the graph it started to work less efficient so we came to the conclusion that how far your pop can is rom the flame will change how efficient your calorimeter is.

Comment Stream