- Paul ZindelPlaywright
- Children: Lizabeth Zindel, David Zindel
- Plays: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, More (Google)
- Title: The Pigman
- Author: Paul Zindel
- Date Published: 1968
Meaning of the Title: Refers to the nickname John and Lorraine, two New York teenagers, give the old man named Mr. Pignati, whom they befriend and who teaches them much about life before he dies.
Setting: New York City circa 1968
Protagonists: John Conlan and Lorraine Jensen.......
- Lorraine and John play the phone call game,where they call a random people in the phone book and Pignati "donates $10 to fake L&J fund.
- They meet Mr.Pignati
- They pretend to be part of fund
- They get $10
- He show them his house
- He show them the pigs
- They call the Pigman
- Pigman takes them to the zoo and they meet BoBo the baboon
- Tell them about his life
- They find out about his wife
- Norton shows up uninvited to John's and Lorraine's party at Mr. Pignati's house and destroys the pig collection.
- Angry that he has not been invited, Norton shows up at the party. He steals electrical equipment and smashes the pigs, looking for money. Mr. Pignati comes home from the hospital unexpectedly and sees the ruin of his pigs and his wife's clothes.
- Getting to know him,and started to feel bad for him since he is so lonely
The cops bust up the party
Lorraine get screamed at by their parents
John gets accused of not trying
The pigman feels betrayed
- John and Lorraine mature and they realize that there is nobody to blame, it was their fault.
- The pigman dies
- John realizes life is important
- Lorraine realizes she likes John
- They both appreciate life
- The fact that they were prank calling would lead to trouble
- The stuff about them dressing up
- The mini-prologue prepares us for a serious event which will take place in the lives of John and Lorraine.
-Lorraine’s still eyes as described by John foreshadows how important the Pigman’s life and death were to them.
-John’s description of Norton and Dennis as amoebas prepares us for how Norton will have an impact leading to the Pigman’s death
-Pigs: life and love
-Death Notice: Conchetta isn't really in California
-Cemetery: someone or something is going to die
-When the Pigman's pigs get broken: pain and hurt.
-Black: Sign of death
-Zoo: Happiness and caring.
-Blue: Lorraine's eyes
-dream of the pig room: death
-the Red dress: a sign of hope
-Rollerskates: a sign of childhood and new hope
-The exotic foods: trying something new in life
-Masterson's tomb: the sign of what might come next
-Theft: trying to be known
- The untouched Bedroom: trying not to forget
-The lock on the phone: trying to protect someone
- View about life and how people behave
- Peer Pressure
- You people in your life to make your happy
- Appreciate every second in your life
- Do not take people advantage of people
Pigman vs himself
John vs Norton
Lorraine vs Society
John vs Lorraine
John vs Bore
Mr. Pignati goes upstairs and cries. John and Lorraine go home.
My connections with the pigman was that John and Lorraine was kind like me because something you have to stop and look at yourself to Know that it was you who to blame.
- Symbols - Pigman Webpageroxygurl51.tripod.com/id15.html
aboveme is some pictures of Paul Zindel kid
This story is filled with mood swings just like adolescents whose bodies and minds are constantly changing. We very much like John and Lorraine at times and.......
- “But I gave up all that kid stuff now that I’m a sophomore. The only thing I do now that is faintly criminal is write on desks.” (p. 3)
-“In fact, the thing Lorraine and I liked best about the Pigman was that he didn’t go around saying we were cards or jazzy or cool or hip. He said we were delightful . . .” (p. 16)