By: Logan F.
Biography Project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade Language Arts Class,
Jimi Hendrix was born November 27, 1942 in Seattle Washington.
Significant Events in History that took place during his life
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.s "I have a dream" speech.
- JFK's assassination.
- First ever Super Bowl
- Obama was born in Hawaii
- Man walks on moon.
When Johnny (Jimi's real name) was born In Seattle, his father had left him and his mom. His mom gave him up and he was passed around from foster home to foster home a lot. He eventually ended up with a woman named Mrs. Champ all the way down in northern California. His Father came back and recovered the child and renamed him James. He was poor and never had any money to pay for an instrument but he was absolutely in love with music. The first real that he had was a 5$ guitar that only had one string. His first guitar with all 6 strings was a very bad and old 12 string acoustic guitar with all of the secondary strings taken out.
People important to jimis life
1. His father was important because he gave Jimi a loving guardian after he came back from the war and found Jimi with an adopted home.
2. Would be Mrs. Champ who had taken Jimi in from foster homes and gave him a home until is father came and got him.
3. All of the musicians he had worked with when he was just going around and giging had all gave him advise, lessons, tips and tricks, and encouragement to move further in his career.
4. Bob Dylan was Jimis all time favourite musician and influenced him to get into music.
All along the watch tower was a song originally done by Bob Dylan but Jimi then covered
1. His first instrument was an old ukulele he found in his garage that only had one string
2. He slept with his guitar from his first one all the way up to his death
3. He always used a right handed guitar but restrung it left handed
4. His real name was Johnny Allen Hendrix but he was renamed James Marshal Hendrix by his father.
5. He couldn't read or write music
He was famous for his crazy stage preformances
1. He was the first African American to have the admiration of most white rock listeners
2. Ranked number 1 on Rolling stones top 100 guitarists
3. He was awarded the Grammy lifetime achievement in 1992
4. Ranked #3 in top 100 rock and roll artists behind the Beatles and The Rolling Stones
5. was ranked #3 in top 100 hard rock artists behind Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath.
Don't be afraid of what other people think about you and do what makes you happy. Jimi pushed every boundary he could with his music and he never let his race or pop culture hold him back
"Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 09 Mar. 2015.
"Redirect Notice." Redirect Notice. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
Unterberger, Richie. The Rough Guide to Jimi Hendrix. London: Rough Guides, 2009. Print.
"Jimi Hendrix Guitar Burn." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze Live (1967)." YouTube. YouTube, 12 Dec. 2011. Web. 08 Mar. 2015.
"Jimi Hendrix --- Voodoo Child, Live '69." YouTube. YouTube, 16 Jan. 2014. Web. 09 Mar. 2015.