Sales Tax and Commission:
Formula: Sales tax= tax rate x purchase price
Example 1. I went to the store and bought a new phone for $650 and the sales tax rate is 3%. What is the sales tax? 1.change the sales tax rate into a decimal 3%= 0.03
2. Then multiply the price of the phone by 0.03 0.03 x 650= 19.50
3. Then there is your answer $19.50 is the sales tax.
Figure it out:
1. The price of a bicycle you plan to buy is $300. The sales tax rate is 4%. How much is the sales tax?
Formula= tax rate x purchase price
The answer should be $12
Commission- a percent of the amount of your sales
To find the commission you use the same formula.
Formula- Commission= sales x commission rate
1. You go and buy a computer for $800 and a worker helped you. The worker's commission rate is 5%. How much commission do they get?
So you first have to change the commission rate to a decimal. 5%=0.05 Then you multiply the commission rate by the sales
0.05 x 800=$40
so the worker's commission is $40.
1. Find the commission on a $100 sale with a commission rate of 10%.
Formula= Commission=sales x commission rate
The answer would be $10.