Raise the Red Lantern Unit:
Document and Film Discussion Thread
Use this Tackk to record your participation in answering primary document guiding questions and your analysis of the film as it plays.
Expectations: Connections between film and primary documents are particularly welcome. As the last time, there is a graded participation assignment for contributions to this discussion thread. Use texts, offer specific scenes, ask great questions, respond directly to one another using @____.
To organize our primary document references use the following tags:
To organize our film references, use a tag for each of the characters names:
Guiding questions - reading night #1
1. Ban Zhao's work from nearly 1800 years the early 20th century before still defined traditional Confucian women's roles.
How would a Communist analyze or explain the document?
As the film plays, document examples of women trying to meet or undermine Confucian expectations. Also, how does the document apply or not apply to women with servants?
2. Kang Youwei: Why does Kang attack the traditional family? Using our definition from today, how would a Communist agree or disagree with Kang's diagnosis of the world's suffering?
Guiding Questions - reading night #3
Chen Duxiu: "The Way of Confucius and Modern Life"
1. As a communist, why does he attack Confucian values, particularly the treatment of women? Use a specific example. What would he attack in the film so far?
2. He ends by stating that "Confucius lived in a feudal age... the ethics [are] of the feudal age." How does that paragraph reflect Chen's "economic determinism"?
He Zhen: "Women's Revenge" and Han Yi: Destroy the Family
1. How is "Confucianism... a murderous learning"? Give an example from the text. What would she attack in the film so far?
2. How does she personally attack Ban Zhao?
3. Would communists agree with Han Yi that China should start with a sexual revolution in order to destroy the family? Why does he believe so?