Becoming a Member of a Professional Group
Amish Purohit is a respected doctor with more than 20 years’ experience in the healthcare industry. He studied at the Saba University School of Medicine and along the way has come to appreciate the value of joining professional groups. Presently he is a part of: the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).
People have often wondered at the benefits of joining professional societies, and there are many reasons why you may consider joining one. More often than not, when considering membership, individuals often look for what they can get out of their membership. For those considering joining a professional group, here are some reasons why it may be beneficial to you:
- Altruism: You have the opportunity to give back to your industry as a professional. This will benefit your field, but also give you the opportunity to network with key players in the industry.
- Mentoring: You can mentor young workers in the field or receive mentorship from more experienced professionals. This is a win-win situation for all who choose to participate.
- Professional Development: These groups often have seminars, workshops, publications or presentations on the latest occurrences or revisions in the field. The information presented at these fora will be only beneficial in your profession.
- Industry Advancement: Everyone has goals they want to achieve in their chosen field. More often than not they include advancing; moving up the ranks for promotions and the possibility of higher pay. Through the meetings you will have the opportunity to meet with people and put your best foot forward, as well as learn more about the field so that you can be placed in a better position for the promotion you want. This does not negate the hard work that you have to do to get there, however it makes it that much easier.
- Networking: This is the best way to advance your business. All the experts advocate for networking, and swear by its profitability. Through a professional group, you have the opportunity to stay in contact and build relationships with various members of the organisation, from the recent entrants to the veterans in your field.
- Membership access can give you the opportunities to serve on committees or boards as well as discounts for events and meetings that the group might put on.
Being a part of a group is not for everybody; however, should you decide that you want to give it a try, these points will give you the necessary push towards that sign-up sheet.