Small Vs Big Company: Which is better to start a career?
With so many options to choose from, job-seekers usually get confused while making a choice between a big brand and a small enterprise. There are a few basic criteria on which a candidate can base their decision…
Whether to opt for a big company or a small enterprise is a question that haunts almost every job-changer, especially in this era of numerous startups pitching themselves against established giants in the corporate world.
Here are some of the pros and cons of working with both. This will offer our readers a fair perspective so they can make a suitable career choice:
- Organised and professional work culture with stable jobs
- Training and IT systems well in place and higher opportunities to go abroad, especially with MNCs
- Brand equity can be leveraged for next job change
- Job security and timely appraisals along with a bunch of intangible benefits
- Skill development in specific areas only, as roles are well defined with less opportunity for multiple challenging roles
- Greater competition within the organisation and hence limited opportunity to grow faster
- Salary hike is gradual
- Opportunity to develop multiple skills, as one is expected to work take on multiple roles
- Higher growth opportunity and faster learning curve with first-hand experience of working with top management
- One grows with the organization, hence, higher opportunity to earn better remuneration, added perks and profit sharing
- More accommodating towards work flexibility options
- More freedom to think out of the box and ample opportunities to innovate
- Less organised work culture with the company at an evolution stage, hence, systems and processes not yet refined, leading to confusion and trouble in communication, especially for new joinees who are not yet accustomed to the corporate atmosphere
- Employees are not able to leverage the brand equity if it does not do well in the long run
To conclude, if you are proactive, self-starter, looking to gain experience in various departments in a short span of time and ready to take risks, then small companies can provide you with the right platform. If you believe in following a planned approach for career growth and brand name is crucial for you, then large organisations would be an ideal choice.