Week of: 4/27/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Monday’s (school begins @ 9:05am)
- April 27
- May 4, 11, 18
- 5/5: Boston Market Night
- 5/9: Tin Can Auction 4-9pm
- 5/15: Half Day (11:30 Dismissal)
- 5/25: No School (Memorial Day)
- 6/2: Field Day AM (6/5 rain date)
- 6/4: Hunt’s Gym (end of the year party) 10:15-11:30. Picnic lunch to follow at Mason.
- sight words: would, where, way, went
- word family: -oat
*Spelling test on sight words every Friday*
This week students continued reviewing their basic reading skills and ways we use these skills during reading and writing. We have readdressed punctuation and the way our voice changes when we read. We also worked on identifying complete or incomplete sentences, asking versus telling sentences and statement sentences.
Students finished up their fictional frog stories this week. Their stories were to have a clear beginning, middle and end where a problem is resolved by the end of their story. Students were very creative with their writing and included great sparkle words and describing words. We will continue to practice fictional stories over the next few weeks and the appropriate writing process.
This week we celebrated Earth day by identifying ways we reduce, reuse and recycle. We also spent time sorting out different types of materials and wrote a pledge to Mother Earth.
- We are in need of Clorox or Disinfecting wipes. Our classroom supply has been used up and we would appreciate any donations to help keep our kids and classroom healthy :)
- Afternoon Snack: Many of our growing first graders have asked for an afternoon snack. If you wish to pack a morning and afternoon snack for your child, feel free! These warmer days require a lot of energy and a full belly helps keep them going. Some have leftovers in their lunch bags that substitute for a snack as well. I have told the first graders that this snack rule is their responsibility and taking care of themselves is a second grade habit they can practice!
- Our class has completed the reading NWEA assessment! First grade is scheduled to take two math NWEA assessments in May. Dates will be included in the newsletter when we are closer to the official testing time.
- We have set the date for the End of the Year Picnic! It will begin at Hunt’s Gymnastics Club in Harrison Township. All the first grade children will be together at the facility. Parents and siblings are welcome, however, please remember that this is a first grade celebration and siblings cannot participate. Adults and siblings can watch from a viewing area provided. After we will return to Mason for a picnic pizza lunch on the front lawn! Permission slips will be coming home in the next few weeks.