BRIEFING TOPIC: Culture Watch
Pastor Suggests Legalizing Marijuana in Newark, NJ
JUST THE FACTS I need (in less than a minute)...
Newark, NJ has seen a dramatic increase in crime since limited funds led to significant cuts to the police force. Pastor William Howard Jr. suggests that the only way to conserve limited funds is to legalize marijuana. Howard also points to the disproportionate number of arrests of African American men, pointing out that the same number of whites use marijuana. Dig deeper at NJ.com
Please send me a FREE copy of this week's full Ministry Briefing, containing over 50 'briefings' just like the one above that can be read in a minute or less. Here's my name and where to send it. (Just type 'free edition' in the message box.) Available in PDF, ePUB, or MOBI format for all electronic devices.
Give us 30 minutes a week, and we'll help you become a more-informed, better leader for your local church.
We're all busy. But we all need to consistently hone our leadership skills.
As Rick Warren says, "The moment you stop learning, you stop leading." It's so true.
But it's a catch-22. There is so much that needs to be done. Emails to be answered. Phone calls to return. Sermons to write. Conflicts to mediate.
Enter Ministry Briefing. We'll save you time by delivering all the things you need to know about, all in a clear, concise format. Each Friday morning, we'll deliver around 50 current events, cultural shifts, trends in the church and more that you really should know about. Each story is condensed down to one paragraph... taking you just one minute to absorb all you need. And, if you want to drill down on specific stories that interest you, just follow the link to the full, original resource.
What will I find in this week's
In the November 25, 2013 edition, we've compiled 64 stories that every busy church leader should know about. This week, that includes:
TOPIC: Current Events and the Church
- Snake Salvation Pastor Fights for Religious Liberty
- First Book Ever Printed in America Auctioned in November
- Churches Asked to Help Connect Citizens with Healthcare
- Hayford's Seminary Relocates to Texas
- Pastor Committed Suicide After Saving Man
- It's Expensive to Build an Ark These Days
- Pastor Arrested for Intent to Sell Pills
- Public Schools Criticized for Partnering with Samaritan's Purse
- Historian Accused of Misreading Statistics about College Students
- Science Teacher Fired for Including Religion with Science Lessons
- Teacher's Role in Public School Bible Study Challenged
- Cheney Family Spat Clouds Senate Campaign for Liz
- Successor to Chuck Smith Is Officially Voted In
- Pastor Owned Property with Marijuana Store While Working for Police
- Jobless Benefits Set to Be Cut in December
- Church Robbed During Service
- Liberty University Student Shot and Killed
TOPIC: Cultural Trends You Need to Know
- Pastor Suggests Legalizing Marijuana in Crime Ridden Newark, NJ
- Do You Live in One of the Ten Smartest Cities in North America?
- Pastor Ministers Through Taxi Cab
- New Graphic Shows Population Movement in U.S.
- Partial Abortion Ban Blocked in Albuquerque
- Fiction Label on Bible Alarms Costco Customers
- Supreme Court Allows Texas Abortion Bill to Move Forward
- Mormon City Named National Bible City
TOPIC: Denominational News
- UMC Pastors Marry After Meeting at Conference
- Dire Prediction for Christianity in Britain
- Baptist Church Donates Property to New Church Plant
- Women Will Elected Bishops in Church of England
- Catholics Are More Multicultural in the US
- Major Religions Share Common Views of End of Life Issues
- UMC Pastor Defrocked for Officiating His Son's Wedding
TOPIC: Leadership & Development
- Workplace Darwinism: Are You Up For The Evolution?
- Keeping It Real - 200th Blog Post
- Irrevocable Principle
- The Three Toxic Stooges of The Project Apocalypse
- The Philosophy of Failure
- Countries Full of Mistrustful People Are Less Entrepreneurial
- What Does It Mean To Follow Your Passion?
- Ask a Great Leadership Development Question - Get a Free Book!
- 9 Ways To Avoid A Meaningless Mission Statement
TOPIC: Personalities in the News
- Mahaney Dropped from Conference
- Kathie Lee Gifford Pays Tribute to Graham
TOPIC: Technology & the Church
- Saudi Arabians Most Likely to Tweet
- Females Dominate Snapchat User Base
- Over Half of Twitter Users Come from 5 Countries
TOPIC: Trends in the Church
- Christians Most Likely to Adopt
- Protestants Support Path for Citizenship
- Wycliffe Predicts Greater Access to Bible
- Giving Levels Off According to ECFA
TOPIC: The Church Around the World
- China Backs Away from One-Child Policy
- Korean Pastor Stole Billions According to Elders
- Christian Group Censored in UK
- Typhoon in Philippines Especially Bad for Children
- Church of North India Hits Hard Times
- Typhoon in Philippines Draws Limited Attention and Donations
- Australian Bishop Warns State to Not Force His Hand
- Pastor Who Defended Jews Honored
TOPIC: Weird yet True
- Twible Retells Bible Stories in Tweets
Meet the authors: Todd Rhoades & Matt Steen
Running Active blogs and doing ministry consulting requires Todd & Matt to consume thousands of articles and resources each month. They sift through and share only the best-of-the-best each week in Ministry Briefing. You'll save hours of time looking for the right stuff that will help you become a better leader. In 30-minutes or less each week, you'll learn all you need to know to keep up on the latest ministry news and trends and become a better leader.