What To Do If Your Identity Is Taken
How To Keep Yourself Safe
How To Keep Your Identity Safe Online:
- Do not share anything!
- Use social networking with extreme care. Share information with only people you know and do not accept friend requests from strangers.
- Guard your credit card information.
- Only buy from companies that you know are reliable and safe.
- Create hard passwords that are hard to guess.
- When leaving a site, make sure you are completely logged off before exiting.
- Do not store personal or financial information on your computer.
- Install security software to keep your information protected.
How To Know If Your Identity Is Taken:
- Read your bills/ account statements. Watch out for:
- Things you did not buy.
- Withdrawals that were not made by you.
- An unsuspected address change.
- Decrease in regular bills.
How To Protect Yourself From Identity Theft In General:
- Watch your wallet.
- Be careful with your credit or debit card.
- Do not tell people your PIN number.