Warren Hills Elementary
What is Genius Hour?
You have until Friday, April 24th
- You will spend 20% of our class time, or every Friday, working on what we'll call 20 Time.
- You may work alone or with a small group.
- Decide carefully. If you choose a small group, you will have to compromise with your group and deal with other personalities. If you work alone, you have complete autonomy but you are responsible for the outcome.
- Is this person a worker or floater?
- Can I get along with this person for the entire semester?
- Is this person going to keep on track or distract me?
- This is not about hanging out with friends,but making something really cool.
- Choose a project that is new to you and something you wouldn’t normally do in another academic class.
- If you are stuck, do some research on other educational 20% projects and take another look at what Google has done.
- You must produce a product or achieve some sort of goal.
- Write up a proposal and pitch it to your teacher that includes a purpose, audience, timeline, and resources you will need to complete the project.
- Reflect on the process each week on your goal sheet.
- If, at any moment, you feel lost, overwhelmed, or uninspired, you must set a meeting with me to find a solution.
- At the end of the unit, you will present your project and reflect on the process in a five-minute TED-style talk or essay.
- Failure is an option. Simply learning from your mistakes teaches you a lot.