Toomas Hendrik Raaga
University of Tartu opening
The university of tartu was established in 1632.The first students enrolled 20-21 April 1632. On account of the Russian-Swedish War the University of Tartu moved to Tallinn in 1656 and in 1665 it closed down.In 1690 Tartu became a university town again.Among the academic staff were: Friedrich Menius, professor of history (the history of Livonia); Sven Dimberg, professor of mathematics ; Olaus Hermelin, professor of rhetoric and poetry; and Lars Micrander, professor of medicine
Tartu, with its population of 101,246 in an area of 38.8 square kilometres, is the second largest city of Estonia. Tartu, lying 185 kilometres south of Tallinn, is also the centre of Southern Estonia. The Emajõgi River, which connects the two largest lakes of Estonia, flows for the length of 10 kilometres within the city limits and adds colour to the city.