Melt Proof Container

By: Paul Frampton

This prodject was the result of two days of hard work from four people in the Science 9 class of 2014. The following were the steps we took over the two days and the mistakes and reasons why the design was what it was. The following also composes of the cost list, and the temperatures.

Step one- Brainstorm. The first thing that we did was brainstorm. What we came up with as our beginning design was to layer it with as much material as we could to use as insulators. Our primary object of choice for this was cotton balls.  At five cents a piece it was the cheapest and the most playable in terms of use in the container.

Step two-Design. The design originally was a box just around the cup with enough cotton balls to fill the empty space. Then we decided to make a barrier  between the cotton balls and the ice. So we decided to make an extra isolation barrier out of straws wax paper and tin foil.These things worked so well that we decided the make the hole cube's structure out of the pattern to give it more stability and more insulation.

Step three-Building. Building went almost exactly as planned until we realized that we didn't have a lid. So we frantically went about the hole process again trying to figure out how to make the lid. We finally decided, since heat rises to let the heat escape by making it out of wax paper and tin foil with a couple holes in it. We did not realize at that time that heat would, with the holes in the top, be able to come in from the top of the container.

Step three-End result. In the end we had  unexpected success in the sense that after four hours the temperature was two degrees Celsius. After the first hour the temperature was five degrees Celsius. The second five degrees, third nine degrees, and the fourth two degrees Celsius. The end cost of the hole thing was forty five dollars ninety two cents. Way more than the intended low price. But we were happy with the end results and are proud of our almost melt proof container.   

Comment Stream