Team 7-3 Omaha zoo trip
May 1, 2014.
Home on the range
Common name: Dogfish shark Scientific name: Squalus acanthias
Biome: coral reefs/marine Habitat/home range: waters between 45-59 degrees
Fish adaptations Dogfish shark adaptations
1.breathe with gills 1. spikes on the front of dorsal fin for defense
2. fins 2. sharp teeth for chewing prey.
3.most have scales 3. pregnancy period of 18-24, longest of all vertebrates
4. ectothermic to live in cold 4.live in schools to catch prey.
5. blubber for insulation 5. teeth that always grow back.
Common name: Panama Golden Frog Scientific name: Atelopus zeteki
Biome: tropical rainforest home range/ habitat: mossy rocks or by streams in panama
Amphibian adaptations Panama Golden Frog adaptations
1. Lungs for breathing 1. poisonous skin
2. moist skin 2.wave forefeet at each other developed to communicate next to waterfall
3. gills for breathing in water. 3. bright colors to warn predators
4. metamorphosis 4. walk instead of jump.
5.strong back legs 5. lack of eardrums
Common name: American Alligator Scientific name: Alligator mississippiensis
Biome: Swamps Habitat/Home range: fresh water, South East America (native to North America)
reptile Adaptations American Alligator adaptations
1.lay eggs on land 1.strong jaws for chewing
2.scales 2. clear eyelids to see underwater
3. ability to unhinge jaws 3. can be underwater for 7 hours
4.ability to regenerate some limbs 4. flap in throat so they can open mouth Like tails underwater
5. camouflage 5. flaps on the nostrils so thy don't get water in their nose
Common Name :Java Rice Sparrow Scientific name: Padda oryzivora
Biome: grassland, Savannah Home Range/Habitat: in the wild in java and bali, corn fields
Bird Adaptations Java Rice Sparrow adaptations
1. wings 1. when a male's ready to mate it's culmen swells
2.feathers 2. males dance and sing a song.
3. Warm-blooded 3. beaks to crush the nuts they eat.
4.Good vision 4.weave their nest.
5.hard-shelled eggs. 5.feathers that change color as they get older
Common name: White Bengal Tiger Scientific name: Panthera Tigris Tigris (Endangered)
Biome: Tropical Rainforest Home Range/Habitat: Eastern Asia, in bamboo and rubber trees
1.warm-blooded Bengal Tiger adaptations 2.highly developed brain 1.retractable claws
3. four chambered heart 2. eye spots on the back of their ears to imitate eye.
4.feed young with milk 3.Big jaws for eating
5. have hair 4. camouflage for hiding. 5. sharp teeth for chewing.