650 A.D. - Today
How It Spread
Origins: Out of Mecca, East to India, West across North Africa, and on into Spain
Growth: ~By Military Conquest
1.Great Fighters 2.Died in Battle, would go to heaven 3.treated conquered people fairly
Battle of Tours: Under the lead of Charles Matrtel, Freach Christians defeated the Muslims and stopped their advance into Europe.
Golden Age: (700-900 A.D.) A time of great learning and cultural diffusion
Contributes to Our Society
1.Spread Gupta math ideas 2. Created Algebra and Trigonometry
1. Created Hospitals 2. Wrote Medical Books 3. Doctors were required to pass exams
1. Influenced by Byzantine and Indian Styles.
1. Learned from Greek ideas. 2. Study of the stars: created astronomical tables
1, Based on Islamic religious laws 2. Became the basis for political laws in the empire
1. Used money 2. Allowed credit to be used. (Money borrowing)
* Preservers of Greek and Roman Culture *
- Preserved Roman and Greek Ideas that they got from their contracts with the Byzantine Empire.
- Preserved them
- They improved upon them (Translated Roman writing, etc.,)