Sickle Cell Disease
By Quanesia Freeman and TyKerrien Hardwick
Cause Of the Disease
The Cause of the Sickle Cell Disease is a Gene Mutation where Sickle Cell Hemoglobin substitutes for a normal gene in Red Blood Cells. This Results in Red Blood cells shaped like Crescents instead of Round normal Red Blood Cells.
How is The Disease Inherited?
The Disease is Inherited when two genes of Sickle Hemoglobin are inherited from one's parents. On the other hand, If a person receives one gene for Sickle cell disease and one gene for the normal gene the person has the condition of Sickle Cell Trait.
Symptoms Of Sickle Cell Disease
Symptoms of Sickle Cell include:
- Feeling Tired or Weak
- Shortness of Breath
Rapper Prodigy is A famous celebrity who has the Sickle Cell Disease.
Remedies/Cure for the Disease
Remedies and Cures for Sickle Cell Disease include:
- Blood and Marrow stem cell transplant
- Gene Therapy
- Oxygen Therapy
Additional Information about the Sickle Cell Disease
- Sickle Cell Disease is one of the most common genetic disorder
- People are born with Sickle Cell it doesn't develop in adulthood
- Sickle Cell is Chronic but treatable and is not a death sentence
- Sickle Cell affects people of any race