For the week of September 5, 2014
“It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings. “
– Ann Landers
Assessment: Debbie Youngs
Training:Please email me the date/time your campus MAP training will take place. Thanks you!
Benchmarks: Please let your staff know that the MAP Benchmarks were revised. The updated ones are posted on the tinyurl.com/cisdassessment website.
ACT COLLEGE AND CAREER READINESS WORKSHOP
ACT is offering a free half-day workshop to those interested in:
- Learning to identify needs and issues that are relevant to your school and how to better prepare students for future education and employment.
- Participating in hands-on activities that will help you connect the learning needs of your students to ACT products and solutions that can address those needs.
The website to register is: http://secure.elabs10.com/functions/message_view.html?mid=3362189&mlid=486&siteid=2010000185&uid=9269144e8f
UPCOMING ASSESSMENT DATES FOR AUGUST/SEPTEMBER
BOY MAP: 9/10-10/8
BOY Literacy Assessments: 8/26-9/19
Deadline for Parent Nomination for G/T Assessment (Learners new to CISD in grades 1, 2, 4, 6-12 AND Learners not tested with the CogAT in the last calendar/school year): 9/3
CBE Grade Level Acceleration for Newly Enrolled Learners: 9/4-9/5
CBE Math Acceleration for Newly Enrolled Learners: 9/5
G/T Assessment: 9/13
Deadline to Upload All BOY Data: 9/24
Curriculum: Marilyn Denison
Reminder: Instructional coaches, including elementary math coaches, science coach and iTeam members will not be able to proctor national or state assessments. The district has planning to do with them on assessment days, so that they are not pulled from duty on instructional days.
Mathematics: Mary Kemper
K-5 math educators now have online access to our digital textbook resources! Educators will navigate to: http://www-k6.thinkcentral.com and log in with the username and password they received in an email from Think Central.
6-8 math educators now have online access to our digital textbook resources! Educators will navigate to: https://my.hrw.com and register using the steps they received in an email from the campus department chair or math coach.
Science: Linda Cook
- All teacher and student logins for Discovery Education are updated, with nightly uploads do accommodate changes.
- If you have ESL facilitators or SPED educators assigned to more than one campus, please email me so that I can change their access within Discovery Education.
- Assigned FOSS kits have been delivered for the first 11-week rotation. Access codes for the digital teacher guides are printed on the outside of each kit.
- One set of hard copies of the teacher guides for each kit has been delivered to each campus library for teacher check-out, as needed.
- On Friday, Sept. 5th, additional boxes of FOSS tools will be delivered to each campus. These items will go to 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade team leaders to keep on your campus permanently. These include balances, stream tables, sand and clay for stream tables, etc.
- All teacher and student login information for Discovery Education is complete, with nightly uploads to accommodate schedule changes, move-ins, etc.
- Let me know if you have any educators needing access to the Discovery Education Science Techbook at more than one campus so that I can change their access level.
- Student and teacher login information for Discovery Education is complete, with nightly updates to accommodate schedule changes, move-ins, etc. Discovery Education is our digital adoption for biology, chemistry, and conceptual physics.
- Student and teacher access to all other adopted digital texts (for AP Physics, Earth and Space Science, Anatomy and Physiology, and AP biology) should be good to go. Let me know of any issues or concerns. It is my understanding that all have been resolved.
Upcoming Science Trainings
- Sept. 16th - First Grade FOSS Overview Training from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at the Service Center
- Sept. 23rd - Second Grade FOSS Overview Training from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at the Service Center
- Sept. 25th - Kindergarten FOSS Overview Training (Rescheduled from Sept. 9th) from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at the Service Center
- Sept. 30th - Third Grade FOSS Overview Training from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at the Service Center
- Oct. 4th - All day (Saturday) Project Wild and Project Wild Aquatic training for K-12 Science educators at the Biodiversity Education Center of the Coppell Nature Park. 8:30 am - 3:00 pm
- Oct. 7th - 4th Grade FOSS Overview Training from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at the Service Center
- October 14th - 5th Grade FOSS Overview Training from 4:00 - 5:30 pm at the Service Center
Upcoming Science Meetings
- Sept. 11th - Elementary Science Content Specialists Meeting at the Service Center from 4:00 - 5:00 pm
- Sept. 18th - Secondary Science Department Chair Meeting at the Service Center from 4:00 - 5:00 pm
This message is sent via the region10 listserv
New Region 10 Professional Development and Networking Opportunities!
Journaling & Interactive Notetaking in Science – September 17, 2014
Biology Boot Camp: Biomolecules and Metabolic Processes: Building Blocks of Life – September 23, 2014
Making Sense of Science – Matter: Properties of Matter – September 25, 2014
Brain Train! Training your Brain to Read, Write, and Think like a Scientist (K-12) – October 7, 2014
Making Sense of Science – Force & Motion: Motion – October 14, 2014
The PBL Experience – October 16, 2014
Engineering is Elementary (K-5) – October 23, 2014
Expect More, Struggle Less: Targeted Intervention – November 4, 2014
Biology Boot Camp: Inherited Traits: Decoding the Mystery of DNA and RNA – November 7, 2014
Making Sense of Science – Force & Motion: Changes in Motion – November 18, 2014
Reach for the STAAR: High Quality Instruction – December 2, 2014
Making Sense of Science – Matter: Particles of Matter – December 9, 2014
Social Studies and CTE: Jon-Eric Ziaer
“Celebrate Freedom Week”
will be the week of Sept 15th . Grades 3-12 are required by the state of Texas to participate in this program.
All elementary and secondary educators have been invited to join the Social Studies Instruction Materials Committee. This group will soon begin the process of selecting our Social Studies materials for adoption. Encourage any interested educators to contact their campus department chair or content specialist, if interested.
Career and Technical Education (CTE)
Mr. Yakubovsky(CHS) and the Coppell Solar Racing Team were recognized by our CISD Board of Trustees at the August board meeting for their outstanding effort and participation against teams from across the country in the 2014 Solar Car Challenge.
Attitude is Everything…..Pick a Good One!
Jump Start by Robb Armstrong