Drunken Ginger Snowmen
If you want them to be sober, just hold off on the rum
Gingerbread Snowmen Deserve Some Good Cheer!
Like, Spiced Rum Made Right Here in Cleveland :)
And check out the other ingredients that are easy to source locally too! * / **
Ingredients - Cookie
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour*
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt**
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon**
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice**
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger**
- 1/4 lb butter, softened (1 stick)*
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 lg egg, beaten*
- 1/2 cup Blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp flour, for rolling*
1 Tbsp Meringue Powder | 1 Tbsp cold water | 1 Tbsp Portside Spiced Rum
1 cup powdered sugar
(for the sober version, use 2 Tbsp of water vs. rum)
Build Your Snowmen
- In a large bowl combine flours, powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice & ground ginger. Mix well & set aside.
- Using a mixer on high speed, cream butter & sugars until light & fluffy. Add egg, molasses & vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture a little at a time, beating after each addition (yes. the dough will be stiff).
- Divide dough into 2 balls & shape each into a rectangle. Wrap with plastic wrap & refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 and prepare your cookie sheets.
- Unwrap dough & place on lightly floured surface. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness & cut yer little guys out using small snowman cookie cutters (or whatever it is you desire to build).
- Place cookies on sheets & bake until crisp - about 7-10 minutes. Remove & cool em on a wire rack.
- MEANWHILE - take a swig of that fabulous Portside rum and in a small bowl combine Meringue Powder (or pastuerized egg white if you choose), cold water & Portside fabulousness. Beat with mixer on medium until peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon icing into decorating bag & pipe over cooled cookies. Icing will set quickly, about 5 minutes. Another great version of Royal Icing can be had here. (Because Alton Brown is the shiz!)
You should now make yourself a nice cup of Pope's Spiced Hot Chocolate (spiked with some of that rum) and sit back & enjoy a few of those Snowmen. If you need to make more for gifts, no worries. You see how easy they are.
So go on...ENJOY!