Hi, I'm Mike Belsito.
I'm a startup business and product developer that loves bringing new ideas to life.
A bit more about me:
I've spent the past 10 years creating new businesses and products for various groups -- ranging from a 100+ year old athletics department to an Inc. 500 company and even startups of my very own:
- In 2003, I started the first ever corporate sponsorship program for the athletics department at Case Western Reserve University, while earning my MBA.
- In 2005, I joined Findaway World as it's first full time employee -- going on to establish the company's core sales channel, become its National Sales Manager, and launch several new products as Product Innovation Manager.
- In 2009, I co-invented Appstand -- the first frame-style stand for iPhone, which was named one of the Top 10 iPhone Gifts of 2009 and even got a nod from David Pogue in the New York Times.
- In 2011, I co-founded eFuneral, the first online platform to help families research, compare, and select end-of-life providers in their area -- receiving recognition from national news outlets, getting featured in a bestselling book, and appearing on national TV.
- In 2014, I oversaw the launch of a mobile-first ticketing platform for the high school athletics market through Veritix's partnership with Home Team Marketing.
- In 2015, I wrote one of the top 50 startup books on Amazon (talked about in Inc Magazine), became President of Movable, a B2B activity tracking platform -- a company that was ultimately acquired later in the year, and launched INDUSTRY, the most comprehensive modern product management summit in the United States, drawing hundreds of product people from 21 states and 7 countries.
What I'm good at + what I enjoy:
Customer Development: Sitting down with early adopters, getting a sense of their pain points, and articulating potential solutions that warrant development. It's not easy, but it's an integral part of the product development process.
Product Ideation and Development: Taking an idea and turning it into real, tangible problem-solving products by navigating a winding road that includes sales, marketing, technical development, and operations.
Evangelizing: From sharing the vision to individual potential customers/partners to speaking in front of hundreds at industry conferences...and even pitching investors and the media.
I've spoken and written about a few things:
From industry panels and keynote presentations to educating students in the classroom -- and sharing my own personal thoughts on startups:
- Author of Startup Seed Funding for the Rest of Us
- Top of Product Hunt on Day 1 of Launch
- Consistently in the Top 50 startup books on all of Amazon
- Co-Organizer of Industry 2015 - A Summit for those who build, launch, and scale world-class products.
- Featured panelist/speaker at Audio Publisher Association Conference (2009), the 6ixth City Tech Fest (2011), International Cemetery, Cremation, and Funeral Association Conference (2013), and Florida Funeral, Cemetery, and Cremation Association's Sales Conference (2013), Industry Digital Summit (2014), NextOhio Internet Startup Conference (2015), TechPint Startup Summit (2015), Creative Mornings CLE (2015), Union Club Leadership Summit (moderator - 2015).
- Guest lecturer/speaker at Bowling Green State University, Case Western Reserve University, Oberlin College, Baldwin Wallace College, Western Illinois University, Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, and Bilkent University.
- Podcast appearances include Rocketship.FM, Craftsman Founder, Breaking Biz, The Daily Hunt, The Full Ratchet, The Pitch Deck, and Hack the Entrepreneur.
- Mentor/Advisor to various startups participating in accelerator programs, including Y-Combinator, FlashStarts, and Bizdom
- Entrepreneur-in-Residence for the City of Lakewood, Ohio -- a 50,000 residential community just west of Downtown Cleveland -- where I run Startup Lakewood to support area entrepreneurs.
- Previous contributor to funeral industry publications Funeral Business Advisor Magazine and Connecting Directors.
The highlight reel:
Check out these videos to get a glimpse of my past experiences:
Do you want to grab a cup of coffee sometime to catch up? Send me a note below, and I'll get back to you so we can connect.