The Muslim Empire
610 AD - 1400 AD
The Spread of the Muslim Empire
The Muslim Empire started when the religion of Islam was created by Mohammed.The Muslim Empire spread as the religion spread; out of Mecca, the holiest city of Islam, East to India, West across North Africa, and on into Spain. In Southern France, Muslims fought French Christians, following under Charles Martel, to try to expand the Muslim Empire. This battle is known as the Battle of Tours. The Empire would have gone further into Europe if the Muslims had won the battle.
- Mathematics- Created Algebra and Trigonometry
- Medicine- Created hospitals, wrote medical text books, and made doctors pass an exam to practice medicine.
- Banking- Used money, allowed credit to be used
- Preserved Greek and Roman ideas
- Astronomy- created astronomical tables