Clifford j. Bailey
* The risk 2 diabetes increases exponentially as BMI increases above about 25 Kg/M.
* obesity confers a substantially higher risk of type 2 diabetes, such that BMI 30 in Europids, leading some authorities to suggest that BMI of 22 or 23 should be considered as over weight for doth Asian people.
* In the USA, obesity is more common amongst people of Hispanic and black ethnicities and the increased risk of type 2 diabetes may be slightly greater than in obese people of Europen origin.
* Compared with a normal BMI of 22 Kg/m, the risk of type 2 diabetes is increased by two to eight fold at BMI > 25, 10 -40 fold at BMI >30 and >40 - fold at BMI >35 depending on age,gender,duration and distribution of adiposity and ethnicity.
* Ratio is an independent risk of type 2 diabetes irrespective of the extent of obesity.