Week of 6/1/15
Miss Collins Classroom News
Late Start Mondays (school begins @ 9:05am)
- June 8
- 6/2: Field Day (AM) A volunteer sign up is posted on Mason’s homepage. WE ARE STILL IN NEED OF VOLUNTEERS! (6/5 rain date)
*Reminder: All lunch account balances must be paid and library books/fees must be returned for students to participate in field day.*
- 6/4: Hunt’s Gym (end of the year party) 10:15-12:30.
- 6/8: Author’s Tea (9:30-10:30)
- 6/10: Half Day (11:30 dismissal)
- 6/11: Last Day of School (11:30 dismissal) & Report Cards distributed
Special Thanks: I would like to say a special thank you to all the parent volunteers who helped out in our classroom this year! The kids loved having helpers for centers and holiday activities. I truly appreciate all of the support during this important year :)
This week we spent time studying Kevin Henkes as a person after we’ve focused on his books most of last week. We found facts about Kevin and spent time comparing all of his books that we’ve read together focusing on the setting, main ideas and lessons learned. We’ve also spent time reading poetry, especially poems written by Shel Silverstein. The kids really loved hearing his wacky poems with memorable illustrations from Where the Sidewalk Ends like in “Sick” and “Crocodile’s Toothache”. We discussed how poems are meant to make you think and develop your own meaning.
Our Author’s tea is coming up! Students will practice revising their written pieces to become a published book. This book will be read at our classroom Author’s Tea and be taken home to enjoy! Students have spent time reflecting on how much their writing has grown since the beginning of the year and have proven to be some excellent authors!
Our plants have taken off! Students have mowed their “lawns” a few times and saw the root system that has made their grass grow tall and thick. Our brassica plants have grown tall and now have buds ready to bloom!
- End of the Year Party: Our party is Thursday! Thanks to all who have signed up to donate picnic items! You may send in any nonperishable items at your convenience. Any items that require refrigeration may be brought in on Thursday upon your arrival if you are attending or sent in with your child to be stored in our fridge. Drivers should arrive to our room by 10:15am. We will return to Mason around 12:30 and picnic on the lawn.
Please remember for Thursday:
- Booster seat with name on it
- Beach towel for picnicking with name on it
- Sunscreen should be applied to your child before arriving to school
- Comfortable clothing, socks and gym school.
- Summer Skills Packet: If you would like a first grade skills packet for your child to practice over the summer, please send me an email or write a note in your child’s planner by Friday, 6/5. This packet includes 10 questions per day that cover first grade concepts. Packets will be sent home the last week of school.
- BRING A BAG: Please send your child in with a large bag for locker and desk clean outs by Monday, June 8.