Taking the Decision About Having a White Concrete Countertop? We Are Here to Help You with It
The material for making a white concrete countertop is the interior concrete - it is a solidified mixture based on an astringent substance. Often, cement is traditionally used as the latter. Also various fillers can be there in the countertop concrete:
- Small pebbles
- Organic fillers
Concrete is a porous material, so any contamination is difficult to be removed. Organic matter is hammered into the pores of the material. Countertop concrete must be protected from contact with various acids; the latter destroy calcium, which is the main binder in concrete. The danger to the concrete surface can be caused even with lemon juice: its drop leaves a matte spot.
This disadvantage of countertop concrete is successfully eliminated by polymerizing their surface. Polymer substance with a thin uniform layer covers the entire surface of the white concrete countertop and prevents direct contact of concrete with the environment. Protected in this manner, the countertop concrete is easily laundered from any contamination; products with a strong coloring effect are not a danger now for it:
- Tomato paste
- And other
Is it possible to use a white concrete countertop as a chopping board?
The countertop concrete solutions used for making countertops is a durable material; hardness is not inferior to granite, but the polymer coating is less stable. Therefore, it is not recommended to use the unprotected white countertop as a surface for cutting food, because you can easily scratch the surface of the table.
Is it possible to put hot pans on the white concrete countertop?
Actually, concrete can withstand high temperatures, but the polymer coating is less thermally stable. Experiments have shown that a concrete countertop with a polymer coating can easily withstand prolonged contact with objects, the temperature of which is less than 150 degrees Celsius. This means that pots can be placed on the tabletop immediately after the stove. But with a hot frying pan it's better not to take risks; otherwise the surface of the table can melt.
Is it possible to use white concrete countertop without polymer layer?
Such countertops can be used in conditions where the probability of regular contamination is practically completely excluded, for example, in the living room or bedroom. In the kitchen or in the bathroom, unprotected countertops are not recommended.
Countertop concrete without polymer coating need to be treated from time to time by impregnation; they do not provide a high level of protection, but extend the life of the table.
Is the furniture strong enough to hold a countertop?
This question is asked by users who change not all the kitchen furniture, but only countertop itself. Only an expert can answer this question. With manufacturing, two types of a white concrete countertop are distinguished:
Countertop concrete of the first type weighs a little, so they are suitable for any furniture. Filled countertops, by contrast, are heavy, so before installing them, you will have to strengthen the furniture structure with a frame.
How to decorate white concrete countertop
There are several ways to decorate the concrete surface:
- When concrete is still in a liquid state, color ingredients can be added to it, white colorizers are most popular;
- Also, in the concrete solution, colored stones, shells, broken or rolled glass can be added as filler;
- There is a technology for decorating concrete with inserts made of precious wood.
The surface of the countertop concrete can be related to one of two types of grinding type:
- Cement milk - with such polishing on the sides of white concrete countertop, white spots and "stains" are visible;
- Deep - with this kind of grinding, surface of white concrete countertop has a granular structure, sometimes individual grains of sand are visible on it.
Costs for white concrete countertops
As already mentioned above, the single market of concrete countertops has not yet formed, so the cost of products is very different depending on the manufacturer. The meter of the square can cost you ten thousand and eighty thousand rubles.
Reasons to buy countertop concrete
The advantage of concrete is that each product from it is unique. On the surface of concrete patina stains always appear, each countertop has its own special pattern. Also do not forget that concrete is absolutely environmentally friendly material that does not emit harmful substances.
Such countertop concrete is always made on an individual sketch, so they are ideal for non-standard projects
Kitchen countertop concrete
One of the most popular destinations in the world of kitchen countertops is concrete surfaces. These smooth and sturdy countertops feature a unique design. Thickness, shape, texture and color - all these parameters are determined individually in each case. The surface can be polished, painted, and also have inclusions (shells, pebbles, etc.).
Since concrete countertops are made only on order, they are ideally suited to non-standard projects - for example, if countertop assumes bends and has several levels. Some homeowners take the whole process into their own hands, while others rely on the experience of professional manufacturers using proprietary materials and proprietary methods.
What is it?
Concrete slabs are made of cement, sand, water, stone, pigment and reinforcement.
Concrete countertops is a mix of art and practicality. Practical and beautiful concrete countertops are a unique solution. As an inspiration for the idea underlying the manufacture of such a countertop is an object of special importance to the owner of the house, for example, a vase, stone or a work of art.
Since countertop concrete are made on an individual sketch, they are ideal for kitchens with an unusual configuration (for example, for the kitchen "island" with bends).
Countertop concrete can be of different colors. This luxurious white countertop is made in a warm classic style.
What you need to consider when choosing a countertop made of concrete
Concrete is resistant to high temperatures, scratches and chips. Wide choice of colors and the possibility of individual design. Ideal for non-standard shape surfaces.
If improperly installed, it may crack. Hot objects can damage the finish trim. Needs impregnation.
- Thickness, protrusion and edge. The standard thickness of the concrete countertop is 3.8 cm, but you can order a thicker countertop. Usually the width of the ledge is 1.3 - 1.9 cm, depending on the type of cabinets. The shape of the edge can be standard or sketched.
- Installation. Here you need to choose one of the main processes.
- Assembling of finished elements. This process is similar to installing a stone countertop. The manufacturer makes the mold, molds the countertop and then sets the finished plates. In this case, you will be offered with several options for finishing - from mirror polishing to rough grinding.
- Casting in place. In this case, the countertops are made directly in the kitchen itself - right on the closets or joinery, and then processed until the surface becomes flat. You can choose the desired color, but with this method you cannot add decorative elements. Such countertops look like homemade surfaces.
- Individual parts. Since white concrete countertop is made according to sketch, you can supplement them with unique elements, both functional and decorative.
- Color. Concrete can be colored by pigments in the composition or painted afterwards. Theoretically, it can be of absolutely any color.
- Inserts. As inserts can be used almost any flat objects, including coins, shells or minerals with voids covered with crystals.
- Finishing. Countertop concrete can be polished to various degrees, while the surface can be matte or mirror-shiny. Even milled glass can be used for finishing. The porous surface needs a protective impregnation, which will help prevent the appearance of stains.
- Functional complements. With such countertops, you can use integrated washers, dryers, cutting boards and coasters.
- Crack prevention: manufacturers use reinforcing materials, such as wireframe or steel mesh, to avoid deformation, which can lead to structural cracks. If the surface is still damaged (for example, from falling a heavy object), cracks and chips can be eliminated with filler. Quite thin cracks do not threaten the integrity of the tabletop and even give it a special character.
- Care. Daily wipe the white concrete countertop with a soft cloth soaked in warm water. It is possible to use non-aggressive cleaning agents. Regularly treat the surface with protective impregnation.
- The result. Concrete is warmer than natural stone. Spectacular tabletops made of concrete underline any design, whether traditional, modern or industrial style. Many consider concrete the ideal material for kitchen surfaces.