To help make a difference in lives of babies and families.
- Nurse works with new born infants with problems from birth.
- These nurses deal with the baby's needs such as feeding, bathing, and medical issues.
- Administering medications
- Performing tests
- Recording vitals
Career Skills and Interests
- Be dependable
- Flexable with hours
Career Working Conditions
- This field work is within hostpital walls, clinics, or consultants.
- Part of a team with other nurses and doctors on the same floor.
- Can have 1-4 patients depending on how sick each patient is.
- Critical care around the clock.
- Includes weekends and holidays,
- Many nurses work 12 hour days, some nurseries offer 8 and 10 hour shifts.
- "What Is Neonatal Nursing?" Neonatal Nursing Career Info. National Association of Neonatal Nurses, n.d. Web. 11 Oct. 2014.
Career Wages and Outlook
- Salaries vary regionally.
- There is additional compensation for work during night and weekend shifts.
- Middle-half salaries $92,000- $109,000 as of 2011.
- Job demand is expected to increase 26% from 2010-2020, based on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- The field of RN related jobs will see 711,900 new jobs in this decade.
Career Related Occupations
- Staff Nurse
- Nurse Manager
- Nurse Educator
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Developemental Care Specialist
Program of Study
- Requirements include completing postsecondary educational programs in nursing and earning a nursing license.
- Also able to get a RN assiociates degree before (BSN).
- Requires a four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
- Includes both liberal arts courses which fufill general education requirements and classes specific to your major in nursing.
Riverland Community College can help you get your degree as a Registered Nurse/Professional Nurse.
- Located in Albert Lea, Austin, and Owatonna.
- Through Riverland you can also get your BSN because you would also be enrolled in Metropolitan State University as well, through a program called MANE.
- The student-to-faculty ratio in class size is 20:1
- Can take classes on campus, off campus, and online.
- Accuplacer is not required if you have a ACT composite score of at least 16 in reading and 22 in math.
- Application forms are online, mail form, or can also print off the website.
- Pay a $20 non-refundable application fee.
- Submit high school/ GED transcript.
- Tuition-ranges around $5,880
- Room and board- ranges around $5,708
- Other Expenses(books, supplies, ect.)- Ranges around $5,572
*These can vary with your career choice.
- Free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Alternative loan
- Subsidized loans
- Both on and off campus
- Austin has on campus apartments that can accommodate up to six students at a double rate.
- Athletics- baseball, basketball, volleyball, soccer, ect.
- organizations- gaming club,music,theater,multi-culture club, ect.
"Riverland Offers New Nursing Degree." KIMT 3. KIMT 3, n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
"Day in The Life Of A Neonatal Nurse." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.