Advanced Word Problems
Subject: Math Grade Level: 3-5
Description: Advanced word problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. This lesson focuses on strategic thinking and problem solving.
Recommended Tag: #advanced-word-problems
1. Laura has a bag with 6 red apples, 4 yellow apples and 5 green apples. What fraction of the apples are green?
- 6 red + 4 yellow + 5 green = 15 apples
- fraction = 5/15 apples or 1/3
2. Sarah walked from her house to the library. It took her 35 minutes to walk to Kara's house to pick her up. Then, it took 15 minutes for Kara and Sarah to walk to the library. Sarah left at 2:05pm. What time did she arrive?
- 35 minutes + 15 minutes = 50 minutes;
- 50 minutes + 2:05pm = 2:55pm
3. Jimmy has 4 bikes. Luke owns twice as many. Owen owns three less than Luke. How will it cost Owen to put new tires on his bikes? One tire costs $5.
- Jimmy =4 bikes
- Luke = Jimmy's bikes x 2 = 8 bikes
- Owen = Luke's bikes - 3 = 5 bikes
- $5 x 2 tires = $10 per bike
- $10 x 5 bikes = $50
4. Jenny went to the mall to get her mom a birthday present. She bought a new coat and matching gloves for $24.50. The coat was on sale and cost half its original price. If Jenny got the gloves for $5.25, how much did the coat originally cost?
- Total cost - cost of gloves = cost of coat
- $24.50 - $5.25 = $19.25
- cost of coat x 2 = original price
- $19.25 x 2 = $38.50