Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium
By: Lilly

How it began...

In 1894 the Henry Doorly Zoo originally was Riverview Park. The sea lion exhibit used to be a public swimming pool at the park.
In 1898 the park had a variety of over 120 animals.
In 1963 Margaret Hitchcock Doorly donated $750,000 to the zoo with the agreement that the zoo be named after her late husband, Henry Doorly.
In 1965 the first phase of the zoo included the bear, gorilla and orangutan exhibits.
In 1988 construction began on the Lied Jungle. This is currently the single best jungle exhibit in the country.
In 1999 construction began on the world's largest indoor desert. The Desert Dome was completed in 2002, which is a landmark for Omaha.
In 2012 the Scott Aquarium was reopened after renovations and the zoo was renamed Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
This summer, the zoo plans to start the largest project in it's history, the outdoor grasslands habitat for African wildlife.

To be continued...


Comment Stream