Eight songs for eight scenes: CIR
- Bad boys-inner circle: This song represents the scene where Holden is being mugged by the pimps. This song talks about a previous, somewhat scary childhood. When the bad guys came for him, there was nothing he could do. They help him up, tried shaking the money out of him and threatened to kill him. “Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do when they come for you?”
- Confessions- City and Colour- Confessions is a song that talks about making mistakes and learning to live with them. This song describes Holdens personality, In the beginning of the book Holden talks about all of the things he’s messed up in his life. He talks about making mistakes, getting kicked out of multiple schools and letting his parents down. My verdict has come in,It says I'm guilty for my sins this time. I thought I could escape,But then I finally felt the weight,Of my crimes.This is passion, it's not love,Infatuation never ends up right.At least I won't be alone tonight.'Cuz I don't want to be alone tonight.”
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody by Whitney Houston- If I were to make a movie of The Catcher in the Rye, I would play this song in the scene where he is in the Lavender Room. This song reflects Holden’s occasional desire to dance. When Holden is in the in The Lavender Room, he feels upset, lonely, and depressed. He is looking for some way to cope with these depressing feelings. Holden wants to dance with somebody that’s a great dancer. He danced with Bernice, and could’t stop raving about her terrific dancing. In fact, she was such a good dancer, he said he fell half in love with her. Another scene where this song is appropriate is when he danced with Phoebe, and had a ball. “Clocks strikes upon the hour. And the sun begins to fadeStill enough time to figure outHow to chase my blues awayI've done alright up 'til nowIt's the light of day that shows me howAnd when the night falls loneliness calls”
- Under Pressure by Queen- Holden is under a constant pressure the entire book, he is stressed out by it and it almost drives him insane. It's the terror of knowing what this world is about.
- Basket Case- Green Day- This song describes Holden’s character in a surprisingly accurate way.All Holden does throughout the book is whine and complain about meaningless things, like how annoyed he is that everyone he encounters seems to be a phony, but to him, it’s a big deal.“Do you have the timeTo listen to me whine About nothing and everythingAll at once.Nothing and everything
- Hailey's Song- By Eminem-This song shed’s light on Holden’s many struggles, and how Phoebe is the one person who helped him recover, and gave him hope for the future. In this song, Eminem sings about his struggles in dealing with life and how his daughter helps him cope through everything.“Sometimes I think there’s nothing to live for, I almost break down and cry”Here we see similarities in their struggles, how Holden sometimes feels like giving up, and gets depressed. “Sometimes I think I’m crazy, I’m crazy oh so crazy.
- White Trash Beautiful- Everlast-
This song relates to the theme of Holden feeling lost in the world. He gets corrupted throughout his childhood and teen years. He experienced things not many seventeen year old boys experience. He started smoking cigarettes at a young age, showing signs he is careless about his body.He lights a cigarette, his eyes half open He won't be home tonight, but she keeps hopin' Drinking himself to sleep is his only way of copein' She waits for him every night, she leaves the front door open It's 4 AM and doing 95, trying to stay awake and make it home alive
- Because of you-Kelly Clarkson-This song describes Holden’s relationship with his father. It talks about a father teaching his kid how to stay safe in this world. Holden’s Dad was never really there for him and didn’t teach him much as a kid. In this song it describes how the father was always tough on the kid, which taught him how live a safe life, and fend for yourself. I never stray too far from the sidewalk Because of youI learned to play on the safe side so I don't get hurt Because of youI find it hard to trust not only me, but everyone around me Because of youI am afraid.
Why am I here am I just wasting my time?
But then I see my baby, suddenly I’m not crazy
It all makes sense when I look into her eyes.