Varaždin is the city of baroque, angels, music, flowers and bicycles. „Little Vienna“ with rich natural legacy interwoven in parks, located in the North of Croatia on the southern bank of the River Drava. The first mention of Varaždin city name was in 1181. The city proudly bears the epithet of the most baroque town in Croatia.
Stari grad - The Old Town is the most important cultural monument in Varaždin. This gothic-renaissance fortress, which was built and rebuilt several times from the 14th to the 19th century, has been home to the Cultural History Department of the Varaždin City Museum. It preserves important historical documents, valuable collection of guilds, weapons, stone monuments, glass, ceramics and clocks, whilst a walk through the twenty rooms decorated in different styles of previous periods revives the spirit and the lifestyle of previous centuries
Lančana kula - Chain Tower - the entrance to the Old Town
Baroque Sermage Palace = the Gallery of old and new masters
The Gallery of Old Masters includes work by both, Croatian and International artists, which chronologically displays works from the 15th to the 19th Century.
The main square and city hall
One of the streets in the city center
County Palace was built in the period from 1770 to 1772. Two-storey palace is the headquarters of the Varaždin County.
Since 1954 the classicist Herzer Palace has housed entomological collection as a separate department of the Varaždin City Museum, where a valuable and unique collection, assembled by the most eminent Varaždin natural scientist, a grammar school teacher and the founder and the first curator of this department, Franjo Košćec is kept.
Square of Traditional Crafts - in this corner of Varaždin you can feel the spirit of the City’s traditions and get to know some of its creative skills.
Square Miljenko Stančić (great Croatian artist)
Varaždin Cemetery was founded in 1773, after the ban to bury the dead within the town walls had been issued by the Queen Marie Theres in 1768. It is a nature park under spacial protection.
For the last one hundred years it has been known as a specially designed place. Until early 20th century the cemetery was not any different from any other cemeteries. The cemetery manager, Herman Haller had a clear concept of turning the cemetery into a park in 1905, using the garden technique known as the French Style.
Erdödy Palace - Music School in Varazdin, one of the oldest music schools in this part of Europe. Founded on January 1, in 1828.
Croatian National Theatre in Varazdin
The Adult department of Varaždin Public Library (named after Metel Ožegović in 1990) is located in building of the Croatian National Theatre.
The Children’s department of Varaždin Public Library located in a Villa Bedeković.
City Park - Promenade Vatroslav Jagić, a prominent monument of landscape architecture, is located in the heart of the Baroque center. Vatroslav Jagić was a prominent Croatian scholar of Slavic studies in the second half of the 19th century.