Oil Palm and its Importance to National Development
Structure of oil palm fruit
Process of Extracting Palm Oil
1. Sterilisation: Oil Palm fruit and its bunch is sterilised via high pressure using extremely hot steam. Fungi and bacteria dies!
2. Threshing: Separate the fruit from its bunch
3. Destruction and digestion: Husk is loosen from its shell.
4. a. Husk extraction - pressed using centrifuge, screw pressure or hydraulic pressure
b. Filtered - remove husk and impurities
c. Purified - steam channelled through the oil to remove smell and separate acid. Oil is pass through activated carbon to remove colouring matter.
5. Kernel - boiled under high pressure and cooled easily. Shell is broken dried and oil extracted.
Uses of Palm Oil
Nutritional Benefits of Palm Oil
Fats, Vitamin A (Beta-carotene), Vitamin E(tocopherol and tocotrienol), and antioxidant.
Reduce LDL and increase HDL.
They: find ways to increase production, invent machines to reduce labour, diversify uses of palm oil, control pests, marketing palm oil products,