Artichoke Fontina Calzone
Calories: 600 | Prep Time: 30-40 minutes | Difficulty: Medium
From Chef Elana Carp: What is it about calzones that just get our ovens going? It might be the pocket-friendly design. Oh, what's that? You don't put calzones in your pocket on the regular? Well, that's just weird...
Ingredients (yields 4 servings):
- 10 artichoke hearts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp thyme, oregano, rosemary
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- Olive oil (pantry)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 cup fontina cheese
- 1 cup flour
- Kosher salt (pantry)
- Black pepper (pantry)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix ricotta, spinach, artichokes, and garlic together to create the filling.
3. Gently stretch dough into a big circle and lay it onto a baking sheet with one half centered. Spread one third the filling spreading almost to the edge of the dough. Top it with mozzarella. Repeat until both cheese and filling are used.
4. Carefully fold the top over to meet the other edge. Gently press the edges to seal.
5. Brush with eggwash, if desired. Cut four slits on the top to let steam out.
6. Bake 30-40 minutes and let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.