- The Industrial Revolution was the transition to new manufacturing processes in the period from about 1760 to sometime between 1820 and 1840.
how it started
- Prior to the Industrial Revolution, which began in Britain in the late 1700s, manufacturing was often done in people's homes, using hand tools or basic machines. Industrialization marked a shift to powered, special-purpose machinery, factories and mass production.
working and living conditions
Simply, the working conditions were terrible during the Industrial Revolution. As factories were being built, businesses were in need of workers. With a long line of people willing to work, employers could set wages as low as they wanted because people were willing to do work as long as they got paid. People worked fourteen to sixteen hours a day for six days a week. However, the majority were unskilled workers, who only received about $8-$10 dollars a week, working at approximately 10 cents an hour. Skilled workers earned a little more, but not significantly more. Women received one-third or sometimes one-half the pay that men received. Children received even less. Owners, who were only concerned with making a profit, were satisfied because labor costed less.
the union movement
Unions were voluntary associations who represent workers in labor disputes n Shorter work hours and Better wages n Safer conditions ¨ Believed workers had a right to have a say in their particular trade / occupation
positives of industrial revolution
1. As an effect of industrialization, classes in the well being of people increased. Nations started to identify national pride and identities. It increased wealth.
2. Factories that produce quality products have increased in number rapidly. The production rate is multiplied because of the innovation in machinery. As a result of the mass production of goods, the price of products decreased resulting to enhanced quality living. It provides life full of comfort and convenience.
3. Comfortable, strong and cheaper houses were built every day. Cheaper and fashionable clothes were designed. New appliances were invented and upgraded slowly as time passes by. It brings fun and enjoyment.
4. The means of transportation changed enormously. It became cheaper, faster and very comfortable.
5. The increase in production was associated to the hike in trade. It produces new jobs and it increases the employment rate.
6. Cities grew and offer a lot of work and opportunity. It makes a lot of people to become successful in life.