Cesar Chavez PDS Middle
Introductions - AVID Campus Coordinator, AVID Elective Teacher, AVID Summer Institute Trained Teachers
Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID's mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
What is AVID?
Tools for Teachers:
- Professional learning opportunities through summer institute and campus focused seminars - provides teachers with the "HOW" to present curriculum
- W-I-C-O-R: Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, Reading
- Extensive online resources from the AVID organization and campus AVID library
- Strengthen collaboration amongst teachers and
- Focus and structure for campus
- Rigorous curriculum and the support to achieve (tutorials and note taking)
- Social support - teacher advocates and community support
- Provides a team of students for positive peer identification
- A direct support structure for first-generation college goers
- A support structure for typically low-income, underserved students
- Chunk your notes - remember 10/2/2 format
- Repetition, repetition, repetition
- Coach your students on how to take note - often!
AVID Manuals Online
Log into Waco ISD, Departments, Curriculum, Curriculum Website
Click on information, teacher resources, AVID manuals
Login in: MSAVID, Password: college
Being an AVID Tutor
Training is required - Oct. 11, 8:00-4:00
Pay starts at $10.00 an hour and goes up to $22.00 based on your college credits.
Email me if you are interested so that I can send you the WISD AVID Handbook. Tutorials are set up start Sept. 29