Chocolate Zucchini Cake
(Oh, you read that right.)
- 2 1/2 cups regular all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup soft butter
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3 cups coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Drain shredded zucchini. If already dry, sprinkle some water over zucchini and let the excess drain.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
4. Beat butter and sugars until smooth. Add eggs to mixture one at a time. Beat after each egg. Stir in the vanilla, orange peel and zucchini with wooden spoon.
5. Combine dry ingredients and milk with the zucchini mixture, adding nuts last.
6. Spray 10-inch bundt pan with cooking spray. Pour batter and use rubber spatula to level the top.
7. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes. Turn out on wire rack to cool. Top with glaze and serve.