An audio programmer is someone who programs, edits, inserts, creates, etc. music and sound effects in video games, movies, and some TV shows. There is quite a bit of education that has to go into these jobs. You need to know many different software systems and soundboard operations. A soundboard operator makes sure a game or movie sounds as good as it looks.
- People who are interested in sound effects, music, movies, video games, etc.
- People who enjoy working with software and soundboards.
- People who use computers and enjoy using them.
- People who are interested in the principles of sound and audio manipulation.
- Working in the video game/movie development appeals to you.
Somethings that audio programmers need to be able to do are...
- Be able to know different types of software that changes and edits sounds.
- Have expertise with working with digital signaling technology.
- Have a high degree of focus while working.
- Need a bachelor's degree in computer science.
- Need 3-5 years of programming experience.
Audio programmers need to be able to perform these skills to make a movie or game sound good...
- Maintain current knowledge of audio programming techniques.
- Work with state of the art audio software and hardware.
- Be able to liaise with other programmers and game and movie designers.
- Test and debug sound code so it can be inserted into the game or movie.
- Maintaining and/or improving the sound engines on PS3, PS4, PC, XBOX 360, and XBOX One.
- Be able to produce different unique sound effects for each category of games or movies.