By: Vicente Velazco
Revenge (Vengeance) : The action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands.
Revenge in Romeo and Juliet
During the story Romeo and Juliet there are many examples of revenge. From when Mercutio wants revenge against the Capulets for the way Tybalt insulted the Montagues to when Juliet wants revenge for Romeo being banished. The whole story revolves around the Capulets and the Montagues fighting over what has happened in the past (revenge).
Examples of Revenge in Romeo and Juliet
- Act III.I TYBALT 76 What wouldst thou have with me? MERCUTIO 77 Good King of Cats, nothing but one of your nine 78 lives; that I mean to make bold withal, and as you 79 shall use me hereafter, dry beat the rest of the 80 eight. Will you pluck your sword out of his pilcher 81 by the ears? make haste, lest mine be about your 82 ears ere it be out.
- Act. III.1 ROMEO
123 Away to heaven, respective lenity,
124 And fire-eyed fury be my conduct now!
125 Now, Tybalt, take the "villain" back again,
126 That late thou gavest me; for Mercutio's soul
127 Is but a little way above our heads,
128 Staying for thine to keep him company:
129 Either thou, or I, or both, must go with him.
- Act. III.5 LADY CAPULET
89 Where that same banish'd runagate doth live,
90 Shall give him such an unaccustom'd dram,
91 That he shall soon keep Tybalt company:
92 And then, I hope, thou wilt be satisfied.
- Act. I.5 TYBALT
55 Fetch me my rapier, boy. What dares the slave
56 Come hither, cover'd with an antic face,
57 To fleer and scorn at our solemnity?
58 Now, by the stock and honor of my kin,
59 To strike him dead, I hold it not a sin.
- Act. V.3 PARIS
54 Stop thy unhallow'd toil, vile Montague!
55 Can vengeance be pursued further than death?
56 Condemned villain, I do apprehend thee:
57 Obey, and go with me; for thou must die.
Explanation of Examples
1. Mercutio want revenge on Tybalt for the thing he said and the way he acted.
2. Romeo want revenge on Tybalt for killing Mercutio.
3. Lady Capulet wants revenge on Romeo for killing Tybalt.
4. Tybalt wants revenge on Romeo for going to the capulet party.
5. Paris wants revenge on Romeo for all that he has done to the Capulets.
Representation of Revenge
The relationship of Uchiha Sasuke and Itachi is a relathionship built on hate. At one point in time they were like normal brothers, at times they would argue and at other times they would have fun. Itachi was a prodigy while Sasuke was normal no matter how much he tried to live up to his father's expectations, this made Sasuke angry with himself and his brother. One day when Sasuke arrived at his neighborhood he found that his whole family, including his parents, had been murdered. Upon entering to his house he found Itachi covered in blood, standing over the corpses of his parents. From that moment on Sasuke made it his life goal to kill Itachi and avenge the deaths of his parents. This is similar to Romeo and Juliet because after Romeo's friend Mercutio is killed he goes after Tibult.