Breakdown Of A Wedding Budget
The "no frills" wedding of James Righton (Klaxons musician) and Keira Knightley was praised by a High Court Judge in hopes that it would help to spark a trend. An average wedding currently costs a couple £20,000, and he says these expenses are out of hand and can lead to having unrealistic expectations that contribute to an increasing divorce rate. A 28 year old woman names Jessica Brown from Gloucestershire recently informed us how she was able to pull off a perfect wedding for her, and it only cost £3140, proving that having a budget doesn't have to mean cheap also she was a fan of getting freebies and free stuff, and finding bargains..
Here is how she spent £3140 on her wedding:
- £560 for the wedding rings. Groom's was purchased on eBay.com and the bride's from 365-diamond.com
- £500 for the Venue (held at the Thames Rowing Social Club), waiters and corkage (Cava was used. Purchased table wine and paid bar).
- £350 for the Church.
- £300 on her wedding dress, which included alterations. The dress was bought at wedding sale at Berketex Bride.
- £300 Ceilidh Band at reception
- £200 DJ at reception
- £200 alcohol and food purchased at Lidl
- £120 for wedding photographer
- £100 General decorations. An interior designer, who is a friend, helped to think of some simple things that we could do inexpensively. Purchased candles and lanterns at Ikea.
- £100 Gospel choir at church
- £100 to a local taxi company for Mercedes car hire
- £80 for taxis going from church to the reception venue
- £80 for white roses purchased at Waitrose. Bride made the bridesmaid and brides flowers in addition to numerous one for the church.
- £80 for groom's suit hire
- £50 for sweets bought at cash and carry for the party's pick-n-mix stall
- £50 for handmade invitations
How long did it take you to plan your wedding?
We just spent 6 weeks on planning. At the time my Dad had cancer, so we wanted to have the wedding before he got too sick. Since then, against all odds, he's made a complete recovery.
While trying to do your wedding on a budget, what kinds of difficulties did you run into?
Fining an affordable venue in London and finding my perfect wedding dress.
What aspects of your wedding were non-traditional in order to help save on costs?
I asked our bridesmaids to select their own dresses. All I asked was that they be purple. We collected ivy from the countryside and friends then helped with decorating the venue with it. My family made the food and it was given to us as a gift. My mother-in-law made our wedding cake, a friend brought cheeses, my sister made pizza and carrot cake and my Dad cooked fish paella.
My friends got together to pay for our wedding photographer. It was just £120 since at the time he was building his portfolio up. He agreed to do it inexpensively if we allowed him to put some of our photos on his website. Since then he has developed into a very well-established wedding photographer.
I bought a "misery dress" for my wedding dress, which means it had been someone's unused dress before. I then had it adjusted.
After the reception was over, friends helped us pack everything in a van. We took all of the food that was leftover home.
What advice would you give to anybody getting married who didn't want to spend a lot of money?
The thing that is most important is that your guests and you have a really good time. You shouldn't worry about what others may think. All of the people who really care about you aren't going to judge you if you don't want to spend a lot of money on one day!