Biography project for Mrs. Hemry's 8th grade language arts class
Made by: Kayla S.
Dave Pelzer was born on December 29, 1960.
Significant Events in History That Were Going On During His Life
- Vietnam War
- Armstrong landed on the moon
- President Nixon was impeached
- Dave founded an anti-abuse campaign to help kids like him.
- He wrote three books about his life growing up.
When Dave was first born, he had a wonderful life. His mom and dad loved him along with his two brothers. But, just as quickly as that started, the niceness and loving nature of his family ended. By the time Dave was four or five his life took a turn for the unexpected. He was brutally beaten, starved, and burned until the age of 12. When Dave was in school, he was held back a couple times because of his mothers inability to see his intelligence. School was his sanctuary from home but, that quickly changed when people thought he was different and started calling him names. The school nurse started noticing the bruises on Dave and essentially saved his life. A Child Services worker came to his school when he was in fifth grade and put him into foster care.
People who influenced Dave's life
Mother- Abused and starved him
Father- Helped Dave survive his mother's abuse until he left when Dave was 10-11 years old.
Mr.Ziegler, Mrs. Konstan, Mr. Hansen, Mrs. Woodsworth, Ms. Woods, Mrs. Howell, and the school nurse- Put career on the line too save Dave
1. Dave founded an anti-abuse campaign
2. Wrote three books about his life growing up
- "Images For Dave Pelzer." Images For Dave Pelzer. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Mar. 2015.
- Pelzer, David J. A Child Called "it": An Abused Child's Journey from Victim to Victor. Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, 1995. Print.
The theme of Dave's life is...
The theme of Dave's life is hard work and determination pays off.
What Dave has taught me...
Parents should cherish their children instead of harm them.