How Does Your Memory Work?
BBC Horizon Documentary
THIS FILM WILL TAKE YOU ON A JOURNEY OF PERHAPS THE MOST REMARKABLE TRAIT YOU POSSESS, BUT NOTICE THE LEAST. IT'S AN ABILITY WHICH YOU DEVELOP IN CHILDHOOD, AND FOR THE RARE FEW WHO DON'T, THE CONSEQUENCES ARE ENORMOUS.
BY THE TIME YOU REACH ADULTHOOD IT IS SO FUNDAMENTAL THAT IF IT GOES WRONG YOU MIGHT JUST WANT IT WIPED AWAY. AND IN OLDER AGE, THE LOSS OF IT CAN BE A PAINFUL UNRAVELING IN WHICH YOUR VERY SELF EBBS AWAY.
IT'S YOUR MEMORY.
YOUR MEMORY CHARTS EVERY DETAIL OF YOUR LIFE. IT SHAPES YOUR IDENTITY. YOUR MEMORY IS YOU.
COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS – PART ONE
1. What “facts and figures” are given about average lifetime experiences?
2. What (4) important things does our memory let us do?
3. What is “childhood amnesia”?
4. What is the purpose of Prof Mark Howe’s first experiment? Describe it.
5. What is the second experiment looking for? Describe it.
6. Why are the findings of this second experiment “a profound moment in what it means to be human”?