Impressive dirges were written to keep their memory alive

To prevent the continuing spread of violence fifa 15 coins associated with the match, military units were brought in to block the Kayseri-Sivas highway and hinder movement between the two neighbouring cities. Police took measures to prevent the spread of problems to major cities such as Istanbul and Ankara, where migrants from both Kayseri and Sivas lived, and to high-school dormitories where students from these cities were housed. Despite these precautions, beds and other personal goods of students from Kayseri were set alight in the dormitories.17 Students of Kayseri origin who were attending boarding schools in Sivas and vice versa were trans- ferred to other cities. To prevent any further violence, the official opening of the education year was postponed for two weeks in Sivas and Kayseri. Similarly, for the sake of their personal security, some local officials of Kayseri origin were trans- ferred to other cities.

Due to the disaster, local mourning was proclaimed in Sivas and almost all of the shops and entertainment centres were closed. Three days after the tragedy, an official funeral was organized for the fans who were killed in Kayseri. Not surprisingly, the funeral turned into a ceremony of revenge. The dead people were proclaimed martyrs and sanctified as if they had died in the holy fight for Islam. Impressive dirges were written to keep their memory alive.18 Following the events, civil groups from Sivas expressed their reactions to Kayseri representatives and state officials via different organizations. For example, the Sivas Youth Organization published a declaration calling Kayseri ‘Murder City’. Blaming the governor of the city, they brought a donkey in front of the governor’s office and pronounced it the ‘governor’.19 The muhtars (village headmen) of 1,283 villages around the city of Sivas published a common declaration and announced that they would no longer trade with live- stock merchants from Kayseri.20 Moreover, the inhabitants of Sivas organized a comprehensive boycott against shop owners of Kayseri origin. The residents of a ward called Kayserikapı (Kayseri gate) changed the name of the ward to Şehitler (the Martyrs).

Ankara, the capital city, watched these events in stunned silence. The Prime Minister, Süleyman Demirel, postponed an official trip to Russia for one day. The Council of Ministers gathered immediately and the Second Division was suspended. The Minister of Interior Affairs, the Commanding Officer of the Gendarme, the Minister of Health, and the General Director of Physical Educa- tion went to Kayseri to conduct an official inquiry. Whilst the plundering still raged on, these officials who also went to Sivas had the aim of calming the angry reaction to the disaster. Although the Minister of Internal Affairs, Faruk Sükan, called for the people to stop, no one listened. Sükan was faced with an angry crowd shouting slogans such as ‘Murder Sükan!’ He also received much criticism for having visited Kayseri first, despite Sivas’s much more tragic loss of 38 people. When Sükan was unable to complete his speech, one of the well-known lawyers of the city, Ali Take, tried to calm down the crowd. He was attacked, however, and security forces were barely able to save him from the hands of the angry crowd.