How To: Aluminum Lanterns
What You'll Need
- Decorative aluminum sheets
- Tin snips, scissors (to cut metal)
- Emery cloth (sandpaper for metal)
- 20 gauge wire, cut into 6-inch lengths
- Ruler or tape measure
- Krylon black primer (optional)
1. Cut sheeting to desired size strips using tin snips. Use household containers like cylindrical oatmeal boxes and soup cans to figure out the dimensions you want. A 10 x 17-inch piece makes a large lantern; a 4 x 10-inch strip a votive size. Lightly sand any rough edges with emery cloth.
2. Roll the metal strip into a cylinder, using food containers as a mold and overlapping the cut ends slightly. To secure, twist wire through openings in the mesh evenly spaced at the top, bottom and middle along the seam. Depending on size, each lantern will require from two to six pieces of wire. Turn edges of wire to inside of lamp and trim any excess.
3. To finish, spray surface with two coats of black primer, letting it dry in between applications. Or spray primer followed by a coat or two of spray paint in the color of your choice.