25 Craves of Christmas
Dec. 10: Spiced Dark Chocolate and Candy Cane Ice Cream
For all of you chocoholics out there, I have found a treat that is guaranteed to satisfy your craving! Take time out of your busy study schedule and indulge in the perfect blend of sweet and spicy. It will be the perfect energy boost to keep your mind sharp and help you finish finals week strong! (Courtesy of Serious Eats)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon ? Tasty tip
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 ozs dark chocolate (chopped)
- 2 tsps dark rum
- 1 orange (zest)
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 5/8 cup candy cane (crushed, 5 to 8 whole)
- In a heavy saucepan, bring cream and milk to a simmer. Whisk in allspice and cinnamon, remove from heat, and let steep covered for 20 to 30 minutes or until dairy is fragrant and tastes well-spiced.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg yolks with brown and white sugars until very well combined. Rapidly whisk yolk mixture into dairy. Turn heat onto low and stir frequently until custard coats the back of a spoon but a swiped finger leaves a clean line.
- Add chocolate to saucepan and stir until thoroughly melted. Strain into an airtight container, then add rum, orange zest, and salt to taste before chilling overnight.
- The next day, add candy canes and churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to freezer for several hours to harden before serving.