Argentina

by Matt Heifner

Argentinean flag

   Argentina is the second-largest country in South America, occupying the southeastern quarter of the continent and bordering Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay, and the Atlantic Ocean. The nation's sprawling territory enjoys a widely varied climate ranging from temperate in the north, through arid in the southeastern desert, to subarctic in the southwestern Antarctic region to which it lays claim. The high areas of the Andes mountain range are subject to earthquakes, while the plains known as the Pampas are often scoured by violent wind storms known as pamperos. The national language is Spanish; Italian and German are also widely spoken by descendants of immigrants from those countries. The population of over 43 million is 97% white of European descent, while most of the remaining 3% are indigenous or mestizo.  Argentina's Life expectancy is about 76+ years of age. The capital of Argentina is Buenos Aires!

  • "Argentina: Country Overview." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World. ABC-CLIO, 2014. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.

  Some of the major geographical landmarks around Argentina would be, the Buenos Aires Obelisk, Mount Fitz Roy, Talampaya Canyon.

  One of the most recognizable landmarks in Argentina is the Buenos Aires Obelisk. Similar to the United States Washington Monument, this is a sight that tourists do not want to miss. This magnificent structure stands about 220 feet tall and is sometimes used by locals to display public messages. The image of this landmark that is most commonly used to represent Buenos Aires. Located in the heart of Buenos Aires, the Obelisk stands tall in the intersection of two of the world’s largest streets.

  Many people visit this famous landmark during their Argentina vacation. Fitz Roy measures almost 3500 meters at its peak. The mountain was named by Perito Moreno. Mount Fitz Roy was also called Chalten by the Tehuelche Indians which means “smoking mountain”. Located just a few kilometers from the border with Chile, this is a beautifully scenic area to visit while in Argentina.

  There are many famous landmarks in Argentina to visit. One of the most magnificent is the Talampaya Canyon. This impressive landmark is located in Talampaya National Park and features massive red walls. It was named a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2000. This canyon is situated in the heart of the National Park about 250 kilometers from the city of La Rioja. While touring through Talampaya Canyon, visitors can enjoy the many scenic areas such as the different mountain shapes and natural sculptures.

The top 3 cities (population wise) in Argentina were Buenos Aires, Cordoba, and Rosario.  Each city had at least one million people within its city limits. Buenos Aires had

3,050,728 people, Cordoba had at least 1,372,000 people, and the city of Rosario had 1,372,0023 people living there.

"Argentina: Country Overview." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World. ABC-CLIO, 2014. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.

  Argentina is subject to a variety of climates. The north of the country, including latitudes in and below the Tropic of Capricorn, is characterized by very hot, humid summers (which result in a lot of swamp lands) with mild drier winters, and is subject to periodic droughts during the winter season. Central Argentina has hot summers with tornadoes and thunderstorms (in western Argentina producing some of the world's largest hail), and cool winters. The southern regions have warm summers and cold winters with heavy snowfall, especially in mountainous zones. Higher elevations at all latitudes experience cooler conditions.

  Average annual temperatures range from 24°C (75°F) to 11°C (51°F) in Buenos Aires (sea level) and Córdoba (420m/1270ft), and 24°C (75°F) to 8°C (46°F) in Mendoza (820 m/2484ft). Further south the weather becomes colder with a mean temperature of 0 degrees in winter for the city of Ushuaia in Tierra del Fuego.

"Argentina: Country Overview." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World. ABC-CLIO, 2014. Web. 13 Nov. 2014.


 

  The government of Argentina, functioning within the framework of a federal system, is a presidential representative democratic republic. The President of Argentina is both head of state and head of government. Executive power is exercised by the President. Legislative power is vested in both the Executive and the National Congress. The Judiciary is independent from the Executive and from the Legislature.

Modern Argentine culture has been largely influenced by Italian, Spanish and other European immigration, although there are lesser elements of Amerindian and African influences, particularly in the fields of music and art.

Italian and German are also widely spoken by descendants of immigrants from those countries. The population of over 43 million (2014 estimate) is 97% white of european descent, while most of the remaining 3% are indigenous or mestizo. Around 92% of the population is roman catholic.

  There are two typical music styles in the country, representing two different regions. The tango, at one hand, is more representative of Buenos Aires and became the country's music symbol abroad. Nowadays, it's somehow regarded as cult music and has its loyal followers, not being a largely popular style though. And at the other hand, the so-called folklore, which better represents the rest of the country and whose main artists are Mercedes Sosa, Horacio Guarany, Los Nocheros, Soledad, among others.

The soccer is the most popular sport in Argentina without any doubt, and inspires such intense passions. The two main teams are the arch-enemies Boca Juniors and River Plate.

The beef is the primary Argentine dish. Their version of the barbecue is called asado (beef grilled on an open fire pit) and it's a must when you gather with family and friends on weekends. Besides the meat itself it's also very common to eat spicy sausages (chorizo), kidneys (riñones), sweetbreads (molleja) and small intestines (chinchulines): the famous parillada mixta. Bread and salad are the perfect side dishes. During the week days, they prefer to eat milanesas (breaded meat filets).

"Argentina: Country Overview." World Geography: Understanding a Changing World.

 The Argentine government doesn't want you to get too comfy. Featherbeds were officially made illegal because lawmakers believed "such an indulgence induces and encourages lascivious feelings," according to the Argentina Department. Apparently all other beds are safe.

 In the last decade, Argentina has been home to multiple discoveries of gigantic dinosaurs. Giganotosaurus is a dinosaur genus thats found in Argentina. As the name confers, members of this genus are some of the biggest land carnivores to roam the earth. Roaming the earth on two legs and similar in look to the famed T. rex, Giganotosaurus was taller than its similar-looking cousin and had three “fingers” instead of two. It lived some 90–112 million years ago and may have fed on another large dinosaur called the Argentinosaurus.

 Argentina’s diverse landscape and large land area set the stage for the extreme temperatures and even more extreme landscapes. It’s home to some of the most spectacular waterfalls on the planet and sets records in extremes for huge rivers and wildlife diversity. The Iguaza Falls are comprised of over 275 cascades in the north of the country, on the border between Brazil and Argentina. The water tumbles over heights of 80 meters (262 ft) and 3 kilometers (1.9 mi) wide. Many consider them the most amazing waterfalls in the world. The falls are surrounded by a subtropical rainforest and countless species of rare animals, including the endangered Vinaceous-breasted Amazon, a wild green parrot.

Comment Stream