Henrik Moellgaard / English Douma
- W.P.A stands for Work progress administration and was renamed in 1939. This administration was the largest and most ambitious New deal Agency, employing millions of unemployed people (mostly unskilled men) to carry out public works projects which includes the construction of public buildings and roads. Almost every community in the United States had a new park, bridge or school constructed by the agency. The WPA's initial appropriation in 1935 was for $4.9 billion, and in total it spent $13.4 billion. Between 1935 and 1943 the WPA provided almost eight million jobs. The WPA was a national program in the U.S that operated its own projects in cooperation with state and local governments. It provided jobs and income to the unemployed during the great depression in the United States.
- C.C.C stands for Civilian Conservation Corps. It was a public work relief program that operated from 1933 to 1942 in the United States for unemployment, unmarried men from relief families with the ages from 18-25. The head of the agency was Robert Fechner. The CCC was designed to provide jobs for young men, to relieve families who had difficulty finding jobs during the great depression in the United States. The maximum of enrollment at any one time was 300.000, so in 9 years 3 million young men participated in the CCC, which provided them with shelter, clothing, and food together with a small wage of 30$ a month. They operated even separate programs for veterans and Native Americans. During the time of the CCC, volunteers planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, they constructed more than 800 park nationwide and upgraded most state parks. They updated forest fire fighting methods, and built a network of service buildings and public roadways in remote areas. The CCC was never a payment agency. It depended on emergency and temporary congressional legislation for its existence.
- The WPA was created under President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal program in 1935. Between 1933 and 1939 WPA was supervised by Professor Eric T. Huddleston, Chairman of the Department of Architecture at the University of New Hampshire, and Eugene W. Clark, who was deputy Officer for the National Park service. WPA was designed tp provide relief for the nation's unemployed through public work programs and was responsible for employing an average of 2.1 million people a year from 1933 to 1941.
- The CCC operated from 1933 to 1942. 1933 400 people employed at the Park in the CCC. 1934 54,000 Silver Salmon are liberated in the Lake. More than 9700 trees, shrubs, and plants are moved from the lower elevation of the Park and olanted by CCC landscaping crews in the Headquarters area. 1941 the Gladstone tract of 73.65 acres is purchased. 1955 a new machine ship was constructed, the first new building built in the Park since the CCC days.
Pictures from the Works Progress Administration
Pictures from the Civilian Conservation Corps