Chapter 17: The Americas After Independence
Guiding Questions for the Chapter:
- What was the goal of the Monroe Doctrine?
- What were the economic causes of the Civil War in the U.S.?
- In what ways did the Civil War contribute to the industrialization of the U.S.?
- Why did Teddy Roosevelt push for the Panama Canal?
- How did Darwin and Freud change society in the U.S?
- In what ways were the governments of Canada and the U.S. similar? How were they different?
- What problems were caused as a result of weak central governments in Latin American countries? What role did the Church play?
- Why were Latin American countries dependent on foreigners for investment?
Abolition of Slavery
- What economic factors kept the slave trade alive?
Immigration to the Americas
- What roles did the unskilled immigrants fill in North America? Latin America?
Relations Between NA and LA
- How was the relationship between the US and Latin America strained after the Spanish American War? Give examples.