Chapter 18: Land-Based Empires in the Middle East, Asia, and Russia
Decline of the Ottomans:
- What internal problems did the Ottoman Empire face?
- Describe 3 factors that lead to the decline in military power of the Ottoman Empire.
- What changes did Muhammad Ali bring to the Ottoman Empire?
- What factors ultimately led to the failure of Muhammad Ali?
The Crimean War:
- In what ways did the Crimean War show the shift that would be occurring in military tactics?
- In what ways can the Tanzimat be seen as a significant attempt of change for the Ottoman Empire?
- How do the “Young Turks” fit in with the Tanzimat?
- What are examples of nationalistic policies and practices that were promoted by the Young Turks?
China’s Last Dynasty:
- In what ways did China’s examination system find itself under assault? Why was this?
- Compare and contrast the Canton system to existing Japanese policies on foreign trade.
- Compare and contrast the experience of the Qing in the Opium Wars to that of the Russians and Ottoman Empire in the Crimean War.
- How can the Treaty of Nanking be seen as a fulfillment of the recommendations of the McCartney Mission?
- Compare and contrast the Self-Strengthening Movement to the Tanzimat.