Chapter 19: Imperialism
CH. 19 Discussion Questions:
- Briefly describe the 4 types of Imperialism.
- What are the main differences between tropical dependencies and settlement colonies?
Industrialization and Imperialism:
- Provide 2 examples of how Industrialization helped promote imperialism.
British Empire in India:
- How did the British initially exert their control over India? What went wrong? How did the British change their method of ruling?
- In what ways did British attempts to develop “Englishmen” in India backfire on their ability to rule over Indians?
- Who was Rom Mohun Roy?
- What resources did Europeans want in SE Asia?
- Who took what parts?
- In what ways did the British and French exert their control over Egypt and Algeria?
- How were the Boers able to take control over South Africa?
- Who was Cecil Rhodes? What was his goals in Africa?
- Who was David Livingstone? How was the work of Henry Stanley and David Livingstone important to imperialism?
- What was accomplished at the Berlin Conference?
- In what ways did Hawaii’s demographics (population) change after the arrival of Westerners?