By: Ellie C.
is cheerleading a sport?
Cheerleading can range from yelling for a football team to flipping and holding people in the air for the number 1 spot in the country. Or even world! Cheerleading is a contact sport which means you are physically doing something.
Every cheerleader gets fired up when someone says that cheerleading is not a sport. Well for something to be a sport, you have to be physically active and competing against someone or a group (team). In cheerleading, you are both competing against someone and a team. So therefore, it is considered a sport. But technically, cheerleading isn't in the book of sports yet. Cheerleading officials are working on getting cheerleading getting into the wide world sports book.
How Was Cheerleading Created?
Cheerleading has been around since the 1800's. But Technically, It was created when football was started because cheerleading's roots are connected to football's roots. When football was created, things called "cheers" were also create. When people cheered for there team a long time ago, there would be a group of people in the stands that would do the cheers. Not to long after that, the football team decided that they should come down on the field and cheer. That's how cheerleading was started!
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN CHEERLEADING?
Some elements of cheerleading are listed below:
- You have to have a tumbling, dances, stunts, and jumps in your routine.
- You can have boys and girls. (most common girls)
- You must have a level: 1,2,3,4, and 5 are the common levels.
- Uniforms in cheerleading are important because they show a united front.
- In cheerleading you are supposed to be with a team. It's not very c0mmon to cheer by yourself. If you do cheer by yourself, it is called a indivisual routine.
- Cheerleaders commonly have