It's really hard to keep traditions alive!
I'm using the old New Zealand stand-by, Edmonds Cookery Book. I have my music going, I've lined a greased cake tin with parchment paper, and I'm using my new metric/imperial scales.
- Currants 450g
- Jumbo Thompson Seedless Raisins 150g
- Jumbo Golden Raisins (sultanas) 250g
- Pitted Dates (Majool style) 300g
- Crystallized Ginger 150g (Australian is best)
- Mixed peel 150g
- Glacé cherries 150g
- Dried pears 150g
- Figs (Turkish) 150g
- 1 cup of brandy
- 2 & 1/2 cups of flour
- 5 eggs
- Butter 250g
- 1 cup of blanched almonds
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 table spoons of molasses (original)
- 2 & 1/2 cups of brown sugar
Read & Follow the Recipe
That's the hard part: read and follow! You also need to do this with everyone out of the house so you can concentrate.
From now until Christmas, every week I'll give the cake a little drop of brandy - not too much and not too little - Good luck, Merry Christmas.