25 Craves of Christmas
Dec. 5: Christmas Donuts
The snow is coming! So spend the day in your PJs and treat yourself to these decadent donuts--the perfect pastry to keep your mind off of the cold weather. Kick back, relax, and enjoy! (Courtesy of Taste of Home)
- 6 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 7-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil until blended. Beat in extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; stir into egg mixture alternately with milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts for about 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: about 8 dozen.